Submitted by Lorraine Lane
On Wednesday, August 4, I had the privilege of accompanying a volunteer from The Place of Forsyth County to deliver bags of food to four homebound senior citizens. Volunteers for The Place visit 16 senior citizens each week and deliver perishable and non-perishable items. The volunteers also take time to sit and visit, offering words of encouragement.
Our first visit was with a client that
does not live too far from the library. Ms. Suzanne struggles with back
problems, so much so that I heard her moaning as we approached the front door
because of the pain. We were able to distract her from the pain by sharing
with her a brightly colored gift bag. She couldn’t believe that the
volunteers had remembered her birthday.
On our second visit we were greeted by Ms. Donna who was
enjoying time on her front porch. When I asked if she liked to read, her eyes
lit up! After telling her about FCPL’s mailbox books program I asked her how
many items she would like each month, to which she replied, “ten.” I had
so much fun selecting her items this week and cannot wait to follow up with her
to see if she enjoyed the selections.
Our final visit was a joy to my heart! Ms. Betty, who is 89
years old, lives in a small home in the northeast end of the county. She had
just been visited by her home health nurse and had received a bath. I could
sense that she and the volunteer had a special relationship. We sat with her
for a while, listening to stories about her family. At one point she
mentioned that she hadn’t been able to locate her glucose monitor. Having a son
with diabetes, I know how important it is to stay on top of your blood sugar.
Crawling around on the floor, I was able to locate the monitor and help
her check her sugars.
By the end of the route, I was able to sign up two
ladies with mailbox books. Ms. Betty will be receiving an audio player
from GLS with a cartridge from Aurora Ministries with the entire
bible. Outreach continues to find new ways to serve the residents of
Forsyth County by partnering with other organizations. We look forward to
heading back out with The Place in the near future to meet more of their
clients.
That's awesome....
ReplyDelete