Tuesday, April 22, 2025

Behind the Scenes: Unique Management Services

Submitted by Anthony Caspanello

Have you ever wondered what happens when patrons are sent to Unique for collections?
The Library has been using Unique Management Services to recover library materials and collect fines for many years. Unique uses a process they call Gentle Nudge and is focused on getting our patrons unblocked and back in the library. Unique never reports patrons to credit bureaus, so patrons’ credit will never be affected due to unpaid fines. 

Here are links to information that will help answer some of your questions: 

Why would an account be sent into collections and what customer service solutions do I have at my disposal to know if a patron is eligible for or already in collections?
Answer:
Unique Training – What every Public Services staff member should know
I do want to highlight that patrons in collections ARE NOT credit reported. If patrons are concerned please reassure them that their credit scores are fine.

When do patrons receive notices from FCPL and Unique?
Answer:
FCPL Notification Schedule 2022

Is there a timeline for when patrons in collections receive notices?
Answer:
Regular and Small Balance Enhanced Contact Timeline - 7.2022.pdf

I’m curious what a collection letter looks like. How can I read one since I am exempt from collections?
Answer:
Template for Fines Letter 

Finally, the Unique contact for the system has recently changed from Cristie Edmondson to me. As a Circulation Supervisor, Cristie was the Unique contact for nearly 20 years. She established many behind the scenes procedures, weathered changes to these processes over time, and maintained FCPL’s working relationship with Unique. Thank you, Cristie, for all your work managing this task for the system for many years! Now that she is in HR, this torch now passes to me as the new Unique contact.

If you have any questions about a patron’s account—in collections, or one that is close to entering collections—please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind words Anthony! I am go grateful to be handing this off to you and admire your dedication to learning and improving all things Unique. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete