Friday, June 6, 2025

Recap of Recaps: May 29–June 4, 2025

Submitted by Sarah Brubaker

Check out these highlights from some of the unique offerings patrons enjoyed systemwide May 29–June 4, 2025.

Art Around the World at Denmark Library (6/2)
45 children, 23 adults
“I was so excited to introduce Denmark's summer art program: Art Around the World. Today, we travelled to Japan and explored some ancient and some modern artists and techniques. On the ancient side, we examined some woodblock prints and made our own styrofoam prints; we produced fabric bookmarks by using the Tataki Zome (literally: “hammering and dyeing") method by pounding flower and vegetable parts between pieces of fabric with a mallet; and we produced shadow puppet plays in a beautiful shadow puppet theater created by the CSAs at Denmark. On the modern side, we learned about Yayoi Kusama's polka dots, giant pumpkins and infinity rooms and created polka dotted paper strip pumpkins and marvelled at them in an infinity box; and we learned to draw Kawaii animals and objects on door hangers and create-your-own Pokemon cards. We also had a haiku station and a puzzle of Hokusai's Great Wave off Kanagawa. The teens did a beautiful job managing the stations and encouraging kids. Families especially loved the woodblock, paper strip and tataki zome stations. At the end of the hour, I noticed that one boy had traced a cool dragon shadow puppet on his styrofoam to create his print–brilliant! Families thanked me for creating such diverse stations and some asked if they could come back for the second program. I encouraged them to try making these things at home, so other patrons could get a chance to try the projects at 3:00.” - hosted by Jane Elizabeth Sewell

Bad Art Night: Tiny Landscapes at Sharon Forks Library (6/3)
21 adults
“This was such a fun program! I printed some images for inspiration from the internet, so patrons could copy something. There were a variety of styles and some were easier than others to paint. A few patrons opted to paint their own design. I asked if anyone had experience painting, and only a few raised their hands, which was great. I reminded everyone that the most important thing was to have fun. As the patrons were painting, I walked around and answered questions such as, "How do I blend this?" "What is this brush used for?" and "What color should I use here?" There were some wonderful comments as well. One patron thanked me and told me that he had not painted anything since he was a little boy. Another patron said that this program has really helped boost her confidence with painting. There was a couple who did not think they were much of an artist, but I told them their paintings looked like Chagall. I pulled up a picture and they agreed! They were quite pleased with themselves. I had enough canvases for everyone to paint two things, and most people did. I also had two art teachers who thanked me for the program and kept trying to help clean up! A few patrons asked for more painting programs, so I will look into putting more programs like this together. Several patrons agreed to leave their work behind to display in the Tiny Art Museum, but I got their contact info so they can come back and pick up their art at the end of the summer. This program boosted confidence and gave our adult patrons a chance to relax and meet other people in the community who have similar interests. They also learned a little about acrylic paint and painting techniques.” - hosted by Andrea DelValle

Archery for Teens at Hampton Park Library (6/3)
28 children, 10 adults
“What an incredible night! Our archery program had a fantastic turnout that exceeded all expectations. Teens arrived excited and ready to learn, and our presenter, Tyme, was absolutely amazing! Tyme gave an engaging presentation and covered everything from archery techniques and equipment to how beginners can get started in the sport. A particularly fun fact: Tyme has appeared as an archer in two Marvel movies and The Walking Dead! After the presentation, the bow and arrow ‘petting zoo’ was a huge hit, giving patrons a chance to explore real archery gear up close. Teens even got to test out pool noodle and rubber band ‘bows’ our presenter had brought along in a hands-on practice session. Everyone left the program with new knowledge, cool freebies, and big smiles!” - hosted by Chase Truran

Teen Screen Printing at Cumming Library (6/3)
28 children, 3 adults
“Screen Printing was a busy blast. I started off the program with talking to the teens about what print making was. They then all made a Styrofoam relief print. This allowed them to see some of the basic principles behind print making before jumping into making their tote. The teens really enjoyed this. They all made very different designs. A few of them used this as a chance to workshop what they wanted to screen print, but others just made things they enjoy like fruit, cats, dogs, and much, much more. After this, we jumped into our screen printing activity. I showed a video of the traditional process and explained that we were going to make our own stencils. After this, they got to work. It was really interesting to see the wide variety of designs the teens made. We had teens put fish, pineapples, fish, a Junimo, bows, a squid, and more on their bags. As we were wrapping up, I had a few teens tell me they were definitely going to do this again.” - hosted by Signe Madson

Library Rock Snake Painting at Hampton Park Library (6/4)
72 children, 37 adults
“We had a fabulous turnout for our Library Rock Snake Painting program! It was a thrilling afternoon as we had waves of folks dropping in to participate. Many thanks to Jennifer for figuring out the logistics to make it possible so everyone who wished to participate could do so. She recommended dividing the program into three waves of rock painters to give everyone access to the rocks and supplies. We had three groups of 30 or so come through and paint the rocks, and the patrons were all very pleased to be included. We had kids of all ages and moms, dads, and grandparents who painted today. We are going to have an awesome rock snake for all to see this summer.” - hosted by Cynthia Julian-Simmons

Outreach Visit to Therapeutic Recreation Summer Camp (6/3)
27 children
“What a joy it is to be able to present story time to this amazing and often surprising group of young people! Our theme was 'Dads Are the Best' in honor of dads, grandads, uncles, and all the dad-people in our lives that we love. We read stories, told some groan-worthy dad jokes, and of course had to do a summer freeze dance together. In the first group, one young lady insisted on telling her own joke in front of the group, then re-introduced me and hyped up the crowd asking for applause! They all enjoyed making a paper plate award craft, which included many blingy stickers, a few of which may have made it onto water bottles and glasses frames. They are such an appreciative, creative, and loving group–I feel so honored to be able to spend time learning and playing together with them and look forward to the next visit.” - hosted by Joanie Goforth

No comments:

Post a Comment