Submitted by Joan Dudzinski
The mentorship program just finished its third and fourth sessions. These have covered the topics of Programming and Computer/Technical Skills.
Week 4 - Programming
Morgan Shaffer (SF), Information Specialist at Sharon Forks, and Jane Elizabeth Sewell, Youth Specialist at Denmark, both presented on Programming to provide insight into both adult and youth programming. Fun Fact: They both started their careers with FCPL as CSAs.
Morgan and Jane Elizabeth walked them through the process of generating ideas, finding presenters when needed, creating promotional materials, and more. They did an excellent job of pointing out some differences between adult and youth programming. Jane Elizabeth shared links to many great resources for program ideas and activities.
Jen Bell, Information Specialist at Cumming, presented on the varied computer and technical skills that we use every day to assist patrons. We've added the term technical skills as troubleshooting the copier and printer are not generally considered computer skills but come in handy on a regular basis.
Jen shared a few "Tales from the Desk" scenarios at the end of her presentation. As you will see, it's not just about the books!
- Can you help me renew my cosmetology license with the SOS office?
- Can you help me find this legal contract in my Gmail from two years ago?
- The world is ending in a couple of days, can you help me print all of my emails?
- The post office sent me an email stating that I have to verify my identification before they’ll ship my package. Can you help me scan all of my personal documents to them?
- I want to vote in this Instagram poll, can you help me set up an account?
- At home, I don’t have to put in a password to access my bank account - why do I have to at the library?
- I’ve had a stroke and I’m having trouble holding a book. What are my options?
- The Department of Drivers Services printer is down and they sent me to the library.
- Can I print my school records here?
The final two presentations will be covering on and off desk tasks as well as tips for a successful interview.
No comments:
Post a Comment