Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Home Fire Safety

Submitted by Jeff Fisher

As part of the Leadership Forsyth Class of 2022, I had the opportunity to hear Fire Chef Barry Head of the Forsyth County Fire Department speak about the department and home safety.  Chef Head took several minutes to discuss home fire safety, focusing on home smoke alarms.

Chef Head indicated that smoke alarms over ten years old are ineffective at detecting smoke and heat.  The ineffectiveness is due to the deterioration of the tiny radioactive material in the alarm that detects the smoke and heat.  Chef Head indicated that all smoke alarms over ten years old should be replaced.  He said this is true even if the battery in the alarm is being replaced twice a year and the alarm continues to beep/chirp when tested or if the battery is low.  Chef Head indicated that testing the alarm only tests the speakers, and is not indicative that an older unit is continuing to function properly.

After hearing Chef Head speak, I conducted a brief audit at my home and found that I have three alarms that are older than ten years old.  These are units for which I had been changing the battery and testing.  I intend to replace these as soon as possible.  

As indicated on the Fire Department's website, please contact the Department's Community Risk Reduction office with questions regarding smoke alarms.  publiceducation@forsythco.com

No comments:

Post a Comment