Submitted by Joanne Garrett
Check out these highlights from some of the unique offerings patrons enjoyed systemwide October 31 - November 6.
Cumming Historical Cemetery Walking Tour Hosted by Sharon Forks Library
“We had a beautiful morning for our first Cemetery Walking Tour at the Cumming Historic Cemetery. Jessica G and I put together a walking tour of the cemetery, highlighting notable figures buried there as well as the meanings behind several grave markings found throughout the grounds. We had a great crowd of 21 adults, ranging from older teens to retired patrons. At the beginning of the tour, I asked how many new residents we had, and all but four of the attendees were long-time residents (more than 20 years). We received a few questions about where the black population of FoCo buried their dead. In my overview of the history of the cemetery, I did inform everyone of the Tolbert Street Cemetery that is essentially right around the corner. At the end of the tour, several patrons asked if we will do this again next year, and one suggested we do a tour of the Tolbert Street Cemetery (which I'm keeping in my back pocket for next year).” - Hosted by Jessica Dillard
Creative Enterprises Adult Special Needs Craft & Story Hour at Cumming Library
“We had a wonderful fall and thankfulness themed story time! We read Thank you, Neighbor, Spookley the Square Pumpkin, Cat, and Thanks for Nothing!. For our craft, we made gobbling turkeys. The turkey cups were prepared and the patrons got to decorate their turkeys with feathers, beaks, eyes, and waddles. Alexa and I read the books, and then passed out the craft supplies for them to use. They really enjoyed the books, and some of them told us which ones were their favorites. They also thanked us for the turkeys and told us they would go on their Thanksgiving day tables.” - Hosted by Isa Caraballo
Bobbin Lace Making Workshop at Post Road Library
"Nancy Baldwin and three other lace instructors helped four people with their lace projects. They all appear to be absorbed in their projects. I hope they all come back for next year's series. " - Hosted by Ashley Mason
Trick or Treat Storytime at Hampton Park Library
“We had an amazing time at our Trick or Treat storytime today. Our cute costumed characters arrived early and ready to go this morning. The families all enjoyed the trick or treating around the library. So many little ones, as well as grown ups, made sure to express their thanks before leaving today.” - Hosted LeAnne Craig
Saturday Family Storytime at Post Road Library
"Today's theme was Grandparents, and surprisingly, there weren't any grandparents in the audience. We had a blast talking about the things we do with our grandparents and what we love about our grandparents. We read "I Love My Grandma" by Giles Andreae, "I Love Grandpa" by Lizi Boyd, and "Around the Table that Grandad Built" by Melanie Heuiser Hill. We ended Storytime with the puppet show adaptation of the graphic novel "Ballet Cat: What's Your Favorite Favorite?" by Bob Shea. It was a fun and energetic Saturday morning at Post Road." - Hosted by LoraGrace Paolazzi
Understanding America: Election Day at Sharon Forks Library
"For our final session of Understanding America: Discussions on Democracy, four UNG professors presented on the possible outcomes of the 2024 Presidential election. There were so many questions and discussions that we ran 30 minutes past time, with no one leaving early. At the very end, I informed everyone of the return of Becoming a Global Citizen and Great Decisions. I had our program surveys out for people to fill out, and all of the responses were in praise of the presenters and of the series overall. Every survey I received back, under 'What programs for adults would you like the library to offer?' they said 'more programs like these.'" - Hosted by Jessica Dillard
I love the cemetery walk program!! Very interesting.....!
ReplyDelete