Wednesday, March 4, 2026

New Sensory Storytime @ CU

Submitted by Julie Boyd

Per patrons’ request, the Cumming Library launched a new Sensory Storytime on February 23. It was actually supposed to launch in January, but was cancelled due to snow!

Signe and I (Julie) both researched ideal components for this type of storytime. We decided on low lighting, soft music, short interactive stories, and repetitive activities. The storytime is brief, like Toddler Tales, and includes a playtime afterwards. Because we opted to limit technology (no slideshow or ELMO), the stories are either told through flannel boards, puppets, BIG books, or other interactive means. 

We created a visual schedule of laminated cards with images, so children will know what to expect next. This worked great at first, until a little patron decided she wanted to re-arrange them all! Which leads to a key element: flexibility!  

Wanting to limit attendance, we required registration, knowing that not everyone complies with this.  Our goal was 10–12 children; the first storytime had 24. In talking with parents, no one felt that there were too many kids, but if numbers increase we have plans to add a second program following the first. Signe shared information about this program with local organizations, and judging by the number of new faces that I saw, I believe this was helpful.  

My goal was for every child to have a positive experience, and the feedback I received was very positive. It was such a joy to see children who don’t normally come to the library feel comfortable and having fun with other children.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about how it went -- it sounds a like a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're offering this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I am so glad to hear that it was well received.

    ReplyDelete