Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Children’s Share-a-Rama 2024

Submitted by Julie Boyd

The entire youth services team of the Cumming Library had the privilege of attending the 2024 Children’s Share-a-Rama in McDonough on Friday, February 2. The event was organized by the McHenry County Library System and was held at the Mercer University campus. The Henry County team put together a great event, and we were all inspired by the wealth of ideas shared as everyone gears up for summer.

Evan Bush was also present, and he motivated us even more with ideas for programs and upcoming training opportunities. In addition, he provided a helpful timeline to ease the planning process. Our own Kaity Bowers shared an excellent presentation on her homeschool geared Hands on History program which generated lots of interest among participants.  

Below are some highlighted takeaways from staff who attended. 

From Signe Madson: A librarian presented about hosting TableTop RPGs (Role Playing Games) and inspired me to host a program. I am planning on hosting TTRPG (Table Top Role Playing Game) Teen night this summer using the system and rules she explained. I also won a raffle from a librarian who is publishing a children’s book. She offered to come and read her book during a program. This is something we may pursue.  

From Holly Raus: I was struck when the presenter for Storytime Tips and Techniques advised, "Do not use a mediocre book just because it fits in with your theme for that storytime. Find a great book and build your storytime around it instead."

Another piece of advice was to remember to speak slower and more quietly when you are trying to reclaim your audience's attention instead of talking faster and louder which is our natural inclination.

I liked the ideas of the presenter who shared how she uses easy stations during craft time after a storytime like sensory bins, pom-pom drops and filling an egg carton with various small items to examine with a magnifying glass.

I think we were all struck with gratitude at how well funded our library system is and how fortunate we are to have good budgets and resources to support our event planning.

I love how Evan Michael Bush reinforces to us that we are providing "Rich Early Literacy Experiences."

It is good advice to have a back-up program ready to go in a bin. Especially when Mrs. Claus comes down with the flu and laryngitis!

From Kaity Bowers: My biggest takeaway from Share-a-rama was several awesome STEM program ideas, as well as song and book recommendations scattered throughout. Some ideas included bottle rockets, homemade toothbrush hex bugs, stop motion animation for kids, a message in a bottle secret code program, and an idea to engage older kids during outreach called Sing or DARE. Kids come to the front and pick, sing or dare, and they have to sing a song named by the librarian, or do a challenge.

From Alexa Martin: My favorite presentation was about facilitating table top role playing games at the library. I have never played before, and the presenter broke down the elements and showed how easy it is to host one. It seems like a fun activity for tweens and teens!

From Sariah Homan: My favorite presenter was by far our very own Kaity. When she began speaking the audience was entranced. Her presentation, "Hands on History" was interesting and enlightening. She did a wonderful job explaining what homeschoolers are looking for in a program and creative ways to present it.

I was also inspired by a rocket program that someone shared. The entire program was based on the science of rockets. She bought a really cool 2 liter soda launcher that I think the kids here would love. Her experiments were unique to other rockets I have seen. There will definitely be a rocket program in Cumming's future.

We were all so inspired that we hope to offer a Share-a-Rama at the Cumming branch in 2025! 


2 comments:

  1. I apologize - it's Henry County Library System. My parents live in McHenry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these experiences. We are so fortunate to have enthusiastic staff who are willing to try new things and always be improving our services and programs! 💖

    ReplyDelete