Friday, June 2, 2023

A Recap of Recaps

Submitted by Lindsey Allison

Here is a sampling of recaps from May 26 through June 1: 

Summer Reading Fun Kickoff with Magic at SF
Session 1: 192 children, 126 adults
Session 2: 194 children, 133 adults
“Arthur Atsma amazed and astounded with his sleight of hand magic. Balls appeared and disappeared, ropes were cut and mysteriously became whole, and there were several card tricks that elicited wows. Great for an elementary and family audience. Those with children under age four or so had a harder time staying engaged but we had many, many compliments after the show.” – Amy Billings

Golden Hour with Outreach
8 adults
“Visited Antebellum at James Burgess to present the May Golden Hour on Switzerland. While onsite, I met Fredericka, and she is such a delight! I had 8 residents join me this afternoon - at least 5 of them were actively participating and everyone else was actively listening the whole time. One sweet lady came up to me at the end and said that she's been to Switzerland and traveled all over the world in her early twenties. She said that she could never pick a favorite place because each country has its own wonderful things to offer - I loved that! I told her that I want to be like her when I grow up, and she giggled and said, "thank you for the great presentation, I loved remembering all the great things about Switzerland." (So darn sweet!) – Karina Segura 

The Place with Outreach
4 children, 14 adults
“Today I visited The Place to offer library services and promote summer reading. I never know what to expect, but was once again pleasantly surprised. The Place clientele is a melting pot of nationalities. I shared summer reading information with two families from Ukraine. The mom mentioned that she taught art classes in Ukraine and would like the opportunity to do so in America and asked if I could recommend a place for her to do so. I referred her to the Forsyth County Parks and Recreation brochure and encouraged her to visit their website for potential opportunities. I am so touched by these families and the challenges they face. What a lovely spirit they have! I also had an older gentleman share that he is homeless and lives in his car, sometimes staying in the library's parking lot. He thanked me for our beautiful facilities and the opportunity to use our computers. Later in the morning, a lady approached the table inquiring about self help materials. The longer we spoke, she began to share that she was struggling with a number of things at home. I encouraged her to get a library card, which she did, and visit some of our adult crafting programs. She was blown away by all the wonderful programs we have for adults. I left today with my heart full, grateful for the chance to make a difference alongside such a wonderful organization like The Place.” – Lorraine Lane

Arthur Atsma at PR
Session 1: 121 children, 56 adults
Session 2: 120 children, 62 adults
“WOW! Arthur Atsma amazed the Post Road crowd today! Before the show officially started he warmed up the room with a few card tricks. I saw mouths agape in wonder and laughter. After the show people showered us with thanks and asked for directions to the registration table.” – Jane Elizabeth Sewell

Photo of the Week:
Arthur Atsma, Post Road Library (Photo/Tina Pearson)



No comments:

Post a Comment