Friday, January 5, 2024

Recap of Recaps: December 28–January 4

Submitted by Joanie Goforth

Happy New Year! Here are some featured recaps from system-wide programming that took place between December 28–January 4:


Post-balloon-drop fun after Cumming Library's
New Year’s Eve Celebration


Patrons explore Victorian England storefronts
at Sharon Fork's December ATLAS program

High Flying Parachute Storytime attendees play together at Hampton Park


Meet the Trading Card Puppets! - Winter Reading Fun Puppet Shows at Cumming Library 

69 children, 46 adults

"Kaity and I co-produced this "Meet the Puppets" program to promote our Winter Reading Fun (WRF) Program, featuring some superstar puppets from the branches and bookmobile in our puppet shows. After I explained WRF, Kaity introduced a puppet, and we presented his favorite puppet show. Leo the Lion starred in "A Hungry Lion", Dino the T-Rex in "The Super Hungry Dinosaur", Lola the Bird in "A Long Winter's Nap", and Duckie the Duck in "Everybody Says Meow.” In between puppet shows, we sang and danced to some of the puppets’ favorite songs, then the kids got to stay and meet the puppets who starred in the shows! The kids were very excited this morning, and they enjoyed meeting the puppets." –hosted by Julie Boyd


Flying High Parachute Storytime at Hampton Park Library

33 children, 24 adults

"Our Parachute Storytime was so much fun today. I was not sure how well it would go with our little patrons, but they did so great! We started out with everyone sitting around the parachute and sang a "Hello Parachute" song, then stood up to shake the chute to the song, "Shake my Sillies Out" by Raffi. Next, I passed out paint sticks with laminated Velcro animals attached and read the book, I Went Walking by Sue Williams. The children raised their animal when we got to their part while we walked the chute around. When we transitioned with a rhyme to get everyone back to their seat around the parachute, I shared some parent pointers about the benefits of parachute play in storytime. We played a game called, "Cover-Up" where the little ones covered up different body parts as I called them out. The kids had fun hiding their toes, legs, arms, nose and head under the parachute. After some books, rhymes and songs around the chute, our last (and much anticipated) activity had the grownups taking over the chute and letting the little ones run underneath while we listened to Laurie Berkner's song, "Under A Shady Tree.” This was such a fun program to plan and deliver, and was a nice departure from our regular Puppetpalooza. I had both adults and children share with me how much fun they had and I would definitely do it again.” –hosted by LeAnne Craig


New Year's Eve Celebration at Post Road Library

56 children, 35 adults

”Happy New Year from Post Road! We had a great program today with lots of people joining us to celebrate the New Year. I started the program off with The Night Before New Year’s by Natasha Wing. Towards the end of the story, the balloons started to drop, and the kids’ excitement made it hard to finish the book. The plan was for the balloon drop at the end of the program, but the netting and tape did not hold, so I jumped in and shouted “Happy New Year!” It did not matter to the kids, they were just so excited! We moved into the crafts and activities with several stations to help with crowd management: a confetti popper craft (simpler poppers for the younger kids and more complicated projects for the older), a firework craft (younger kids used paint and straws on black paper, while the older kids made "Firework Rockets” with straws, paper, tape and curly ribbon), "Happy New Year” hats, and a final educational center on the traditions of the New Year from around the world. In Austria, they dance the waltz at midnight, so I put the steps on the floor so the kids could dance with their grown ups. In Columbia, they put three potatoes under their bed, so I set up a doll bed and provided three potatoes to demonstrate (one, peeled, one not peeled and one half and half.) In the Philippines, they serve twelve round fruits, so I provided a platter and lots of round fruits. Lastly, I offered a cityscape backdrop with “Happy New Year” and the FCPL logo for photo opportunities. At the end, I asked everyone to pick up a balloon and we did the countdown, said “Happy New Year,” and threw our balloons in the air.” –hosted by Tina Pearson


ATLAS (At the Library After School) Victorian England Engagement Program at Sharon Forks Library

2823 children, 369 adults

"This was our most exciting ATLAS month of the year! Our magic tree house carried us to Victorian England for the holidays! Patrons strolled along the created street, peeking in the windows of the toy shop, past a modest home inspired by Charles Dickens' childhood home, to the seamstress shop on the corner. They found themselves in a Victorian Parlour, complete with a roaring fire, comfy chair and full bookcase. The Christmas tree in the parlour was decorated with candle-style lights, real popcorn and Victorian-era paper ornaments. The parlour was also home to five items that were used by children to do their jobs during the Victorian Era. Patrons could complete the scavenger hunt located at the end of the desk by finding all of the items. I enjoyed chatting with patrons about some of the jobs and just the fact that kids like them were working! The floating wall of the parlour offered information about Charles Dickens and patrons could have a seat at the writing desk to try their hand at writing like Charles Dickens, drawing from their own experiences surrounding the holidays. We had so many patrons share sweet memories and traditions! We will finish compiling the Sharon Forks Anthology soon, where all these sweet memories will live on. The final activity gave patrons the chance to make a thaumatrope, a paper toy that offers a fun optical illusion when twirled back and forth! Many of the staff had a great time sharing with patrons that this was pretty amazing for kids who didn't have TV or computers! We received so many kind comments about everything this month! My favorite moments were when kids stepped into the room for the first time and either stopped in their tracks or went charging in to take a closer look! Included in the photo album is a copy of the article about ATLAS in the Forsyth County News!” –hosted by Stephani Lindsey and Stephanie Gardner


1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was a fun end of the year for our patrons!

    ReplyDelete