Friday, March 27, 2020

Q re: staff pay; emergency sick leave under FFCRA,


No one has asked me this question, but I suspect that some of you are wondering how long staff will continue to be paid now that the libraries are closed until further notice.  I cannot provide you with certainty, but I think I can provide some reassurance.  You are all currently being paid at your regular rate of pay for your regular number of hours.  If you are not assigned enough work to work your regular number of hours, the remaining hours are being paid as administrative leave.  (Please continue to be diligent about tracking and reporting your hours worked.) 

Under the recent Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), all staff are entitled to two weeks of paid sick time (separate from your regularly accrued sick time) for absences related to COVID-19 between April 1 and December 31, 2020.  We are currently determining how this new benefit will be incorporated into use of administrative leave and regular accrued sick and annual leave. 

I do not expect any problems continuing employees’ pay and benefits if the libraries are closed through the end of April or into May.  But, I am aware that months of closure combined with economic turmoil could result in funding reductions that would impact our ability to compensate staff.  I do not say this to alarm you, but to be transparent.

Back to the reassuring part.  Forsyth County Government is our primary funding source.  In recent meetings, the commissioners were clearly committed to the continuation of pay and benefits for County employees, so I believe that they would continue funding for library staff during this state of emergency.  The funds for personnel are in the County and Library budgets, contingent upon revenues being received.  Again, I can’t provide certainty, but I can assure you that everyone wants us to come out of this crisis with a full staff that is ready to resume library services. 

What can you do to help?  Please look for opportunities to continue to serve our patrons remotely and to demonstrate the importance of library services during this time.  Thank you to the staff who came to this morning’s online chat and shared ideas for serving and advocating for our patrons. 
Please have a good weekend practicing social distancing and self care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment