Submitted by Stephen Kight
Reading
Globally, the staff book club designed to focus on books that provide insight
into a variety of different cultures, debuted two years ago in February 2019
with a discussion of the Teen High novel The
Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Since
then we have met six additional times:
May 2019 The Far Field by Madhuri Vijay (Adult Fiction)
August 2019 More Happy than Not by Adam Silvera (Teen High Fiction)
November 2019 There
There by Tommy Orange (Adult Fiction)
February 2020 Between
the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (Adult Nonfiction)
December 2020 Prairie
Lotus by Linda Sue Park (Juvenile Fiction)
February 2021 Djinn
Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara (Adult Fiction)
Trina and I are
ready to announce the 8th meeting, and we’re giving you plenty of
time to read the book if you’d like to participate. On Thursday, May 13, we’ll discuss Stamped:
Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi.
This Teen High Nonfiction
book, first published in 2020 and available in print, eBook, and eAudiobook
formats, is a “remix” by teen author Reynolds of Kendi’s National Book
Award-winning book Stamped from the
Beginning. It’s a history of racist
and antiracist ideas in America that’s told conversationally, in a way that
young readers can find relatable. It
presents the idea that there have historically been three groups involved in
our country’s centuries-long discussion about race—segregationists, assimilationists,
and antiracists—and it discusses a number of different historical figures,
events, and concepts.
Trina and I had
each watched Reynolds and Kendi
discussing Stamped at School Library Journal’s virtual Day of
Dialog from May 2020 and were inspired to read the book. (Trina watched the video and read the book
last year; I did both only recently.)
I found the
book to be one of the most eye-opening ones I’ve read about race. It provides a great deal of information to absorb
and to consider. I’m hoping that a large
number of staff will choose to read this book and join us at the book club
meeting, because I’d love to discuss the ideas with my co-workers.
We’re asking
staff who would like to attend to register, so we’ll have an idea of how many
people to expect: https://forsyth.libnet.info/event/4950536. Staff who register for the book club will
receive an email with a GoToMeeting link a day or two in advance of the
meeting.
Reading this
book is also a great way to participate in the library’s new Read
Your World diverse reading incentive program. Stamped
is featured on the book
list of suggested titles by Black authors.
I read this last year and greatly enjoyed it!
ReplyDelete