Thursday, January 6, 2022

"Don't recommend this book to your grandmother."

Submitted by Leslie Marinelli


The Whatcha Reading? staff book club met virtually today to talk about books we're currently reading or have recently finished. 

One book on this list was described as "honestly one of the best books I've ever read." Another book had one of us ugly-crying in the staff parking lot this morning! Everyone who attended now has an even larger TBR pile and it was so nice to be able to connect with coworkers about what we're reading, even though it was through a computer monitor with nary a slice of pizza in sight. (Darn you, COVID!) 

To see the full list of all the titles we discussed today, click HERE

Our next staff book club event will be a Reading Globally meeting on February 28 to discuss Toni Morrison's Sula. Hope to see you there! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I had to miss this. I love the title of your article! Thanks for providing the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I had to miss this one also. And way to leave us with a cliffhanger! So which book should not be recommended to grandma, which was the best book ever read, and which led to the ugly cry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! The cliffhanger worked! I was hoping someone would ask for more details. :-)

      Grace Year was the book that someone said was one of the best books she ever read. I can't remember her exact words but the person who shared it made it sound super compelling. It's YA, which I don't often read, but it is now very high on my TBR list!

      Interestingly, the book that we should probably not recommend to most grandmothers is also the book that had me ugly crying in the parking lot. It is Trejo -- the audio book! Warning - the language is SALTY. The ratio of cuss words to non-cuss words is pretty high. But the content about his journey from drug addicted criminal to prison inmate to Hollywood legend is INCREDIBLE. I cannot recommend this book more highly... to the right person.

      Delete
  3. I hate that I had to miss this one. Adding a lot of these to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete