Thursday, October 6, 2022

Their Lemons Are Our Lemonade

Submitted by Brooke Rose

I was working the youth Ask Us desk at Sharon Forks a couple of weeks ago, and an almost-12-year-old girl approached me acting a little nervous and holding a bag full of money. Her mom was standing back watching from a distance with an indiscernible expression on her face.

As the girl was working up the courage to say what she needed to tell me, I started pulling up Polaris and putting on my reassurance face - assuming she was about to pay for a lost or damaged book. She then launched into the sweetest story about how she and six of her friends ran a lemonade stand over the summer.

She thrust the bag of money at me and said, “We want to donate our profits to the library. I love the library and love reading, and I check out books and books and books.”

Of course my heart melted, and I gushed over her about how absolutely sweet it is that she and her friends thought of the library. I made a big presentation over printing a receipt for her donation and getting the names of the young philanthropists.

We all signed a thank you card and snail-mailed it. We are now $28.00 financially richer, but our real wealth lies in our amazing patrons!


8 comments:

  1. We should buy $28 in lemon themed books! Our young patrons are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FCPL has the best patrons! How heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Best start to a Friday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so amazingly sweet. I adore kids (sometimes, haha)

    ReplyDelete