Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Blog Reads - Summer Reading Adventure

Submitted by Jeff Fisher

The adventure of summer reading is here!

Read any good books lately?

If so, please share them in the comments section below for this latest installment of Blog reads. 


10 comments:

  1. I just finished Emily Henry's new romance, Funny Story! It was cute and a perfect beach read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tore through the manga series "Yakuza Fiance", and while it isn't exactly highbrow, it's so extremely entertaining and off the wall fun! I also read "A Lady for a Duke" by Alexis Hall, which is a really wonderful historical romance, and perfect for June!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently enjoyed The Women by Kristin Hannah. My mom is a nurse (though she was not in combat) and my dad served in Vietnam, so it was interesting to see the war from that perspective and speak with my parents about some of its insights. Tough but worthwhile to read was the Viola Davis autobiography Finding Me in which she laid bare a great deal of her struggles in early life and the beauty that underpinned it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Under the Bridge by Rebecca Godfrey. It's a captivating true crime novel and also a Hulu series about a shockingly violent murder involving middle school girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Disturbing the Dead by Kelley Armstrong (3rd in the Rip Through Time series)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listened to the Art Thief by Michael Finkle and loved it. It was wild to hear about how easily Stéphane Breitwieser stole art for so many years. Finkle was given close access to Breitwieser, so he was able to reveal more insight into his life and crimes which was fascinating. I also listened to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. I loved how it described the landscape and social scene of Savannah in the 80s and it was interesting to see how the murder trial crossed paths with well known GA institutions. While reading the book, the I also learned it is the 30th anniversary of its release which was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now also listening to the Art Thief after Signe told me about it, haha!

      Delete
    2. Y'all might enjoy The Last Mona Lisa by Jonathan Santlofer, The Lost Van Van Gogh by Jonathan Santlofer or perhaps Portrait of a Thief by Grace Li (soon to be adapted by Netflix!)

      Delete
  7. Jazz musicians and fans will surely enjoy the new release, “ 3 Shades of Blue.” Its springboard is the iconic “Kind of Blue” album, where Miles, Coltrane, and Bill Evans’ talents intersect. It examines their respective influences and careers leading up to that point and follows developments post Kind of Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm currently reading The Prophet Calls by Melanie Sumrow. It is a Teen Middle Fiction book about a young girl living in a polygamous compound in the modern day. She and her brother escape for one day to play their violins in a local music festival and chaos ensues when they return. It handles some pretty serious topics delicately and is a great intro for teens (and adults!) interested in reading about different religions, lifestyles, cults, and family dynamics. {Thanks to Melissa Gunter for the recommendation!}

    ReplyDelete