Friday, June 19, 2020

Message from Julie Walker, State Librarian

Following is a message from Julie Walker, State Librarian:
 
 
Good afternoon, everyone.  As we welcome the official start of summer this weekend, I want to thank you for your dedication and commitment to the important work that we do.  As we continue to navigate a crisis we never imagined, we've learned that libraries are needed more than ever.  People in our communities have lost jobs and moved to new ways of learning, and you are there every day, leaning in and figuring out how we're going to help.  As IMLS director Crosby Kemper recently said, we are vitally important to the democratic fabric, the public fabric in this country.  
 

As you sent me positive, optimistic, joyful stories from your libraries this week, I was once again so grateful to have your partnership on this journey.  I speak with my state librarian colleagues each week, and nowhere do I hear of more collegial, innovative, and caring library folks than we have in Georgia.  I'm inspired by how strongly you support and encourage each other.  We're not a state in which our Governor determines when libraries will open, so each of you is dealing with difficult local decision-making, always considering the best interests of your staff and communities.  I'm in awe of all of you!
 

There is no playbook that promises everything will be okay in the coming weeks and months, no matter how much we and our patrons need one.  But my promise to you is that we at GPLS are committed to supporting you in everything you do, and to fighting for every dollar to help you do your work.  Just moments ago, the Senate passed their version of the FY21 budget.  While we've braced for inevitable reductions, we are encouraged by signs that libraries will continue to be supported by the general assembly, and our reductions were less than anticipated.  
 

Next steps:  a conference committee will be appointed to negotiate the differences between the House and Senate and resolve a final budget.  I'll share those names when appointments are made, and we'll make our final push for library funding.  Not everyone knows how much the public needs us, but it's essential that we make sure the decision-makers know.
 

Finally, I know you are proud of the wonderful staff members who work in your libraries and so clearly care deeply for their patrons.  I hope you will share our appreciation of the work they do, and perhaps this message, with them.  Our libraries are the nation's best because of our people.
 
I want to acknowledge and honor this day as Juneteenth, a day to celebrate freedom and justice, and to commit ourselves to understanding our country's history more comprehensively.  Wishing you all a lovely summer weekend.


Julie

  

Julie Walker 
State Librarian | Associate Vice Chancellor for Libraries      

Georgia Public Library Service 
University System of Georgia
2872 Woodcock Boulevard, Atlanta GA 30341
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment