You may
remember from a previous blog post
that GLASS is now GLS - Georgia Library Service for the
Blind and Print Disabled. I will be FCPL’s GLS Ambassador which means I’ll
attend meetings and training so I can share information about the program with
our staff. I encourage you to take a look at the new GLS website so you can get an idea
of everything they offer. They are in the process of updating the site, as well
as their marketing materials so I will let you know when those are ready.
While I don’t
have very much to share since the Ambassador program hasn’t yet started, I have
a couple of updates:
- If you have any printed GLASS applications on hand,
please discard those and use the updated GLS
application.
- Librarians could always be a certifying authority for a
patron with blindness and/or visual or physical impairment but the update
now allows us to certify a reading disability as well.
- The latest report from GLS shows that Forsyth County
has 115 active GLS patrons, 22 of whom checked out 603 items in June.
- As of June, Forsyth County serves just 3.2% of our
eligible blind and print disabled population, which is down from 2020 and
2019 usage. Forsyth County’s eligible population for 2021 is 3,589.
- For comparison to surrounding counties, Cherokee serves
3.93%, Dawson serves 5.92%, Fulton serves 5.28%, Gwinnett serves 3.97%,
and Hall serves 5.52% of their respective populations.
- GLS reports that the pandemic and issues with the
Postal Service have caused their services to suffer.
- The NLS (the National Library Service for the Blind and
Print Disabled) has set a goal of enrolling at least 20% of the eligible
population.
I will share
more as the GLS Ambassador program gets underway.
Thank you, Jen, for representing FCPL and for keeping us informed about GLS. I hope we can reach more of our eligible population in the next year.
ReplyDelete