Submitted by Anna Lyle
You have likely heard that Juneteenth (June Nineteenth) has been added as a federal holiday in time for this year’s observance. No one has asked me this question, but I am writing this post in case you are wondering whether FCPL will add Juneteenth to our officially observed holidays.
Although FCPL observes most of the federal holidays, this is not automatic. For example, the libraries are not closed on Columbus Day or Veterans Day. Conversely, we observe holidays that are not federal holidays, including the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and the day after Christmas. In addition to 11 paid holidays, the libraries are closed on Easter, Mother’s Day, and Father’s Day.
Any change in our holiday schedule and paid holiday benefits would require the approval of the Library Board. Because FCPL already has a generous paid holiday and leave benefit, I do not anticipate changes in the near future.
However,
FCPL recognizes that staff celebrate a variety of cultural and religious holidays
beyond those included in our policies. Supervisors
will be flexible in working with your schedule to ensure that you are able to
participate in the celebrations and commemorations that are important to you.
If
you are looking for a way to observe Juneteenth, you may be interested in Remembrance
as Resistance: Preserving Black Narratives at Atlanta’s historic
Oakland Cemetery. This free event “honors
the over 800 unmarked graves within the African American Burial Grounds through
the multimedia installation of a Ring Shout.”
When I heard the artist (Charmaine Minniefield) describing the installation in a radio interview, I was excited to realize that I was familiar with the term “ring
shout” from a program I attended at FCPL a couple of years ago. A virtual
tour is also available.
No comments:
Post a Comment