Virtual Memory Cafes –
What Are They?
I had never heard of
Memory Cafes before, and it is interesting to note that I discovered the term
in the now "infamous" article about a Youth Services Librarian who
created a Harry Potter virtual escape room as a result of COVID-19! I
immediately searched the term "memory cafes" online, and found many
excellent resources that I want to share!
A Memory
Cafe is a welcoming place for individuals in the early stages of
Alzheimer’s disease or any other form of dementia, other brain disorders, or
mild cognitive impairment, and their caregivers. Some are activities-based,
while others focus on education. Some offer music and dancing, or crafts and
painting. Some simply guide the participants in exercises that foster reminiscing
(similar to FCPL’s senior outreach programs). The overall purpose is to allow
the participants to interact and participate in a fun, stress-free environment.
With COVID-19, virtual
memory cafes are beginning to pop up, or become more popular. I am really
excited about virtual memory cafes because people who do not have access to
this type of service (particularly for free) and those who are homebound can
really benefit from this! The elderly and those with underlying conditions
are the highest risk group for COVID-19, and they are the ones who are also the
most isolated, which is a cause of concern. These virtual programs would help
them connect and be part of something.
Information and
Resources:
Memory
Cafe Directory – Like it sounds, people can search this website
to find memory cafes in their state. With COVID-19 closing many in-person
memory cafes, the Memory Café Directory included a feature called Cafe Connect that
provides a list of links to virtual Memory Cafes around the world. There are
several to choose from; most of them are free and require
registration.
Alzheimer’s Association
Georgia Chapter's website - I found a few virtual programs there. They require
registration and assessment. The website also offers helpful videos, online
courses, and other useful resources.
Dementia
Mentors - From the website: Dementia Mentors
is "an international, online organization comprised of individuals
with various forms of dementia. Our goal is to provide supportive mentoring,
motivation, social engagement and more for those living with dementia. All of
the mentors have some form of dementia. As a result, they are best qualified to
council and befriend new participants."
Patients can speak with
a mentor live online. The site has helpful videos and hosts virtual memory
cafes for people all over the world to join. I watched a video on the site that offers a virtual
memory cafe tour. Actual members talk about what the Memory Cafe has
done for them, and its members are from all over the world. It's a place where
people with memory disorders can speak freely, share information and
experiences, and learn from each other. I was amazed by and very impressed
with this program.
Webinar:
I also viewed the
webinar Memory Cafes and Libraries: The Perfect Fit. This
is an excellent webinar detailing how one library system is successfully
implementing memory cafes, with best practices based on their experiences. They
showed a short video showing what a memory cafe at their library is
like. I also learned about The Library Memory Project. The presenter
stressed the importance of partnerships for these types of programs, and having
an expert on site for programs. I highly recommend this webinar to anyone
interested in working with seniors, particularly the memory-impaired.
Music and Memory
Another bit
of relevant information I found while doing my research stemmed from
a video that Lorraine shared in one of her
outreach recaps about the importance of using music with memory impaired
patients. It's a snippet of a documentary about the Music &
Memory iPod Project, which I checked out further after watching
the video clip. The entire documentary can be found on the
website. This is a wonderful program
Other Memory Café Resources/Websites:
'Memory Cafes' Help People with Dementia and Their
Caregivers –
FromHealthline.com
Excellent article with
additional links to related articles. Also references the Memory Café Directory
website.
Memory Cafe Activities - Caregivers Matter –
Caregiversmatter.org
I like this site because
it offers several different memory cafe themes and activities for others
to use.
Memory
& Alzheimer's Cafes – Alzheimersspeaks.com
Contains links to news
video and article about memory cafes.
I hope that staff
will find these resources useful, for outreach and other programs, as
resources to refer to patrons, and to use for themselves if they or someone
they know is caring for a person with memory disorders.
Written by Jeanne
McMahan
I believe they talked about this in the On the Go with Senior Services webinar that I took in March. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGood to know! I've been wanting to watch the On the Go webinar, too. I highly recommend the Memory Cafes and Libraries: the Perfect Fit if you haven't watched it. Thanks!
ReplyDelete