Hello to everyone! I certainly do miss your smiling faces passing by my desk and I look forward to a time when you can drop by Headquarters and say hello again!
I recently read an article titled “How to Set Up a Home Office That Works for You” and I thought I would share some Dos & Don’ts for making your home into your workplace.
Many of us have never worked from home. This may have left us scrambling to make a space conducive for doing our jobs. Below are some tips and habits we should practice or avoid:
DO choose a space with good natural light. This will help avoid eye strain from darkness or light glare.
DON’T work from your couch, bed, or kitchen table. Your couch and bed do not offer sufficient support and a kitchen table is typically too high and could lead to shoulder strain. A desk or other lower table would be best.
DO use an adjustable ergonomic chair if possible. This will help with choosing the best height at your desk and giving you proper back support. If you must use a regular chair, putting a soft object such as a pillow behind your lower back can give you better support and make you more comfortable.
DO use good posture while working at your desk. Sit back in your chair and avoid “hunching” over your computer. Look straight ahead or down slightly at your screen. Make sure your arms are at a 90 degree angle and your shoulders are relaxed. Put your feet flat on the ground with your thighs parallel to the floor. These tips will help avoid neck, shoulder, and back discomfort.
DON’T sit at your desk all day. Get up every hour and have a stretch or quick walk. Stand while you do some of your work. Go away from your desk to have lunch. Many of us are spending a lot less time moving than we are used to with our jobs. Take time to move a little each hour and your body will thank you!
I hope these tips help you make your home office a little more comfortable as you work. I am amazed at all of the wonderful and creative ways our staff is working to keep the library available to our patrons. Great job! I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Great tips, Tricia. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThank for your tips! I am struggling with this one. I do not have an extra office chair and and my neck and shoulders are hurting and causing headaches. I didn't realize how much I moved when working at the library. I am going to start working in shorter spurts.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this article, Tricia! I am doing a lot right, but realize by reading this that I probably need to make some adjustments to my desk chair height, and could probably add some cushioning. I thought I was just old and stressed and blamed my headaches and sore hips and neck on that, but gee, maybe I'm just sitting wrong!
ReplyDeleteLots of headaches among staff.
ReplyDeleteThank you Tricia, very helpful. I am reading while taking a short walk around my backyard:) Have a great day.
ReplyDeleteMelissa, I have the same experience and am taking more breaks to get up and move around. No one should sit for hours on end. Thank you, Tricia, for the helpful advice.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Trina, for this helpful advice! I find I am getting more headaches as well, and I'm struggling to get all the ergonomics right. I will just need to work in shorter spurts and move around more.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tricia! These tips are very helpful.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for this! I am struggling with migraines daily and have switched my locations often. Nothing is helping yet, but I added a pillow to my chair today and put a board game under my laptop. Hoping this works!
ReplyDeleteH