Thursday, April 2, 2020

Listen Up! – Podcasts for Continuing Education


Yesterday I was desperate to get up and move around to break up my new working from home routine, but wanted to make the best use of my time. I needed a walk! I didn’t have a webinar queued up, so I started looking for a podcast I could download for my outdoor adventure that might be library related. I totally hit the jackpot, and thought I would share the wealth:

  • Unreadable – This is a perfect opportunity to get caught up on all things FCPL! Join Branch Manager Ross Gericke as he speaks with library staff and special guests about library programs and services.
  • Dewey Decibel PodcastDewey Decibel is the popular podcast series from American Libraries, the magazine of the American Library Association. Each month, your host and American Libraries Senior Editor Phil Morehart will be your guide to conversations with librarians, authors, thinkers, and scholars about topics from the library world and beyond.
  • The Librarian is In – This is the official podcast of NYPL. I listened to their most recent episode in which the hosts Rhonda Evans and Frank Collerius discussed how they are adjusting to working in the current environment. They also discussed what they were reading and listening to currently, providing some great reader’s advisory options.
  • Circulating Ideas - Circulating Ideas facilitates conversations about the innovative people & ideas allowing libraries to thrive in the 21st century. 
  • Book Riot – Book Riot is the largest independent editorial book site in North America, and home to a host of media, from podcasts to newsletters to original content, all designed around diverse readers and across all genres.
  • Family Secrets – This is one of my favorite podcasts, hosted by author Dani Shapiro. It features some difficult content, but it is so beautifully done. Most of the guests have written memoirs that explore their family secret in depth, making it a great nonfiction reader’s advisory tool.


If you have a favorite book or library related podcast, please share below. Happy listening!


10 comments:

  1. Lost in the Stacks in another good one. It's hosted by two librarians from the Georgia Tech library: http://lostinthestacks.libsyn.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah. I'll use this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these Sarah, can't wait to have a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful - thank you for sharing another option for all staff to use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really enjoyed The Librarian is In and am currently listening to Booklist's Shelf Care (it just started last years so I started at the beginning). Two others I haven't started yet but that were suggested on an RA webinar I attended are Ela Area Public Library's Three Books podcast and What Should I Read Next? with Anne Bogel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sarah! I will check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to try these. I've had Dewey Decibel podcast episodes on my phone for a while but haven't ever gotten around to listening to them. I've been trying to listen to audiobooks in the background right now but I find I'm having a hard time staying focused, so I think podcasts will be a better option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these Sarah.. Thank you so much for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!

    Diana Wolski

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been able to find a podcast that sticks. Plus haven't had the time since I mostly listen to audiobooks. I will give these suggestions a try! Thank you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete